Well I let it dry all night and most of the day until after work. Now time to finish it up.
So first I pulled all the everything apart to make sure it was dry, which it was, but my plastic wrap leaked… The tip rusted a bit…
Not to worry hit it with a little oil and steel wool and it will just be character.
So using the contact cement I glued the strip the the main sheath body. Then on with the clamps.
That took longer than expected, about 25 minutes. To me that means I either needed to get the contact cement more tacky before putting the pieces together or I applied too much. Either way it is together.
I need a belt loop so time to get that going with contact cement as well.
And put a tiny dab in the back side to find where to paint the rest.
And back to The Clamps!
But needs some more strength; time to sew. I could use the punches but I was feeling lazy and I had a 1/16 drill bit…
I didn’t do too much special just went around twice to make sure it will last. This is a wear point and I wanted to make sure it would last.
Back to the drill and 1/16 bit and thread.
I am using what I think is called a double saddle stitch. It uses two needles weaving from right to left with needle 1 and then left to right with needle 2 in the same hole. This makes strong stitches on both sides of the leather. Also I doubled the first four stitches as that is the main wear point of the knife sliding in and out. Anyway all was going well but oh no my three times the length didn’t work out and left me short… Oh well back sew it a few holes, tie it off, and a quick lighter to nylon thread.
Well add another 1.5-2ish lengths and got it finished.
Oh and it is a good fit.
Since it is leather I figured I ought to give it a little polish to keep it nice.
Don’t mind the fat guy but I think it came out okay. The lessons learned is that stitching is a pain and is needs to be done right. Punching the holes is better than the drill because you can keep the holes at a 90 degree easier.
First attempt at anything leather wasn’t a total waste and I’ll be using this well until it wears out. Hopefully I can get some more practice in the near future.
Well I have never tried this but with all the knives I figured I should take on a little leather working. I am sure you smart folks can tell me what I am doing wrong and hopefully how to fix it but here’s what I got.
Started with my new 4″ Morakniv and I traced a loose template on paper.
I had a few scraps of leather to choose from but went for the easiest piece with a nice grain.
I traced the template on the leather and then cut it out.
I needed to find center, which was just over 2.5″, to remove a little material so it will fold over the knife well.
Now the way I see it you cannot very well fold over the leather and see them together as it would be too tight. So I added a scrap strip on the edge that will fit in the fold. This will also help with the blade of the knife not coming in contact with the thread. (I think.).
Add the belt loop, which I am going to sew through the back of the sheath onto itself.
Now I think I have all the pieces I’ll need.
Sheath leather needs a a little soak so I can form it around the knife (now is plastic wrap to keep the moisture off it).
So I thought I could just fold it over and rub the contours with that newly shaped walnut cone, but it wasn’t that easy.
So I got out some wood blocks, clamps, and flat pieces of steel to keep it all together in the angle and dimension I want. Then I rubbed all the contours as much as I could (yes my arm started hurting) and left it to dry over night. Part 2 should be coming tomorrow night and we will see how it turns out.
I did a thing! Tested out some ideas with black walnut and a scrap of aluminum. The hole didn’t square well by hand (drill press next time), and honestly I rushed this. I hadn’t even thought about finishing it tonight but I couldn’t leave well enough alone.
My SOG Slim XL for scale.
know what to do the the rest of them now though which is a plus and this will give me the first platform to test out some of my leather-working skills (newly founded). I am sure it will be an abysmal failure.
I believe that is a Morakniv (Swedish) 4″ and 6″ blade in the white package and 11″ Damascus steel Bowie knife (kind) blade on bottom.