Well I have never tried this but with all the knives I figured I should take on a little leather working. I am sure you smart folks can tell me what I am doing wrong and hopefully how to fix it but here’s what I got.
Started with my new 4″ Morakniv and I traced a loose template on paper.
I had a few scraps of leather to choose from but went for the easiest piece with a nice grain.
I traced the template on the leather and then cut it out.
I needed to find center, which was just over 2.5″, to remove a little material so it will fold over the knife well.
Now the way I see it you cannot very well fold over the leather and see them together as it would be too tight. So I added a scrap strip on the edge that will fit in the fold. This will also help with the blade of the knife not coming in contact with the thread. (I think.).
Add the belt loop, which I am going to sew through the back of the sheath onto itself.
Now I think I have all the pieces I’ll need.
Sheath leather needs a a little soak so I can form it around the knife (now is plastic wrap to keep the moisture off it).
So I thought I could just fold it over and rub the contours with that newly shaped walnut cone, but it wasn’t that easy.
So I got out some wood blocks, clamps, and flat pieces of steel to keep it all together in the angle and dimension I want. Then I rubbed all the contours as much as I could (yes my arm started hurting) and left it to dry over night. Part 2 should be coming tomorrow night and we will see how it turns out.